The last few weeks I have been busy with testing, so I thought why not continue the trend with a little Brazilian trivia? The questions below are a collection of some random facts I have learned since coming here, so this is a fun way for me to share them. I’ll post the answer key in a day or two. And…I did my best to spell-check my Portuguese, but I’m sure there are mistakes. Forgive me, I’m still learning 😀
Itacoatiara’s nickname is
- A – Pedra Pintada (the painted rock)
- B – Rio Claro (Clear River)
- C – Grande Anaconda (big anaconda)
Which of the following is not an Amazonian fruit?
- A – Cupuaçu
- B – Goiaba
- C – Pirarucu
- D – Guaraná
It is normal to eat your pizza smothered in
- A – Ketchup
- B – Mayonnaise
- C – Chocolate
- D – Condensed milk
- E – All of the above
A hand signal that DOESN’T mean sex is:
- A – Thrusting your fingers downward, like tapping them on a table
- B – Holding your hand up, palm outward, and closing your fingers into your palm repeatedly
- C – Smacking the back of one hand into the palm of the other
- D – Hitting the top of a closed fist with the palm of the other
To summon a waitress/waiter, one should:
- A – Whistle or “psiu”
- B – Wave
- C – Hiss “mossa!” at a great distance
- D – Any of the above
Which of the following common expressions is a swear word?
- A – Puta que pariu!
- B – Nossa!
- C – Olha-là!
What Brazilian league team does Fisk sponsor?
- A – Flamengo
- B – Corinthians
- C – Vasco
- D – São Paulo
Which of the following is NOT a type of music?
- A – Forró
- B – Pagode
- C – Purão Alemão
- D – MPB
To confirm with the Polícia Federal that you are in the country legally with a proper visa, you must:
- A – Show up to the station one week after arriving and give your name
- B – Go to the station twice, the first time to show your paperwork and the second to get finger-printed.
- C – Fill out documentation online and pay two fees. Go to the station at least three times because the online paperwork will not print. On the fourth try, be informed that you are now later than 30 days so you have to pay another fee. Get fingerprinted digitally and in ink. Have a head shot taken. Sign multiple documents. Provide certified copies of other documents. Return for a fifth time to make sure everything is kosher.
- D – You don’t need to go to the Polícia Federal; you can check in at Customs at the airport.
The event everyone wouldn’t shut up about was:
- A – Samba Manaus
- B – Rock in Rio
- C – Children’s Day
I have more, but I can’t think of them right now! I will post the answers soon, along with explanations for everything I mentioned. Post your answers in the comments section before the results go up!